So I got invited to a friend's sister's wedding today. I told them months ago that I would go - and I really want to. I've kept the weekend open and everything. It is a family that was brilliant to me in university. However, it's out at their favourite camp site. And it occurred to me, that while I adore the family and their campsite, I am really not going to know anyone else. And it's camping. Which means, couples in tents. And I shall be alone in mine because my friends will be busy with the wedding. This whole singleton status is really worst at times like this. There are things I appreciate about not being tied down. But realizing you will sign the RSVP letter as "Shannon without guest" is so not one of them. I'm so tired of doing it that I walked into my office today and told my co-workers that I needed them to think of all their single, somewhat decent looking, easy going and relaxed guy friends who might be up for being my date at a wedding. After they realised it included an overnight stay in a tent with no follow-up committment they figured they could come up with a few options. I guess I didn't realise how that sounded. But it's very difficult to find a friend that you sort of know to come to an overnight wedding. Even in separate tents it would still be awkward. They either have to be a fantastically good friend, of which I have few (males anyway), or almost a complete stranger. That middle kind of good friend stage is okay for a day date, but not what practically amounts to a mini-break.
Anyway, I think I must go to the wedding, alone or not. Because I want to and I refuse to let being single keep me from doing things like that. And besides, maybe there will be some decent looking, relaxed, fun-loving guy there in the same predicament as me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ugh...
I've never heard of a camping wedding, but it sounds...erm...interesting. Good luck with the search.
Knowing, you, I'm sure there will be a decent-looking, relaxed, fun-loving guy there in the same predicament. And you will find yourself heaps of fun and come away with a few good stories. Because you are wonderful and one of the most fun people I know. :)
Ariann, when do you get back to Canada? I'm looking forward to seeing you.
Soon, I hope! I'm aiming for the end of June. And I'm excited to see you, too. I'm sure there will be much fun and trouble. :)
ok, I'm not exactly up to date on your blog, but I'm so excited that you will be coming to the wedding. Anyways, Matt will also need some one to hang out with while the picture stuff is going on... Maybe I should inform/remind him what he's doing that weekend. hee hee
Post a Comment