I just had the most sexist comment made toward me that I didn't even realise what the guy meant at first. I am still feeling a little incredulous. I was speaking with a client about some air monitoring at his site and asked if he wanted full time inspection or if he'd prefer we make several trips per day to collect the samples. His response was that I could just come out for the samples and spend the rest of my day doing something else - liking baking bread. More often than I'd like to admit, I do not get a joke. At first I thought he must be making a joke and my slow sense of humour was not picking up on it so I kind of did a half laugh, said goodbye and hung up. But no, he wasn't really making a joke - he was taking a dig at my gender. How does one respond when it is to an important client? I can't really tell him to make his own swear word bread (which was my boss's response when I told her). I mean, we are trying to get him to hire us.
Oh well, if we get the job and his attitude continues, I'll deal with it then. If we don't get the job, we won't be dealing with him. I just didn't think professional men said crap like that anymore.
And I guess the best revenge would be to actually bake him a loaf of bread. One bite and he'd realise that I am much more capable at providing him with the professional skills at his job site to make sure everything runs smoothly for the next several months than I am at baking bread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great idea Shannon. I hope you get the job just so you can give him a loaf of bread! You go girl!
Man. That is so unreal. What, is he living in 1943?
I would suspect he's almost at retiring age. Maybe a comment about how what you say can be an indication about your age?
Post a Comment