Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Travel plans

Whew, I've made so many decisions since that last post so here's a little update. I did go to the adventure race. Here are a couple of pictures of me trying out the zipline before the competitors arrived.




I have also started working at an outdoor clothing/gear store and it is so fun. Last night we had a product knowledge meeting with a particular vendor and instead of just sitting around talking about the product, we were all lent a pair of their top trail running shoes and we went for a run to test them out. Honestly, that is so cool.

And in 9 days, I leave for Maui. For 3 months. I will be volunteering at the Haggai Institute. And enjoying the weather. And running on the beach. And, hopefully, learning to surf. I am really excited to go. I will be living at the institute and cleaning to earn my keep. My goal is to be able to flip a coin on a newly-made bed by the end of my time there.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. And I will try to upload pictures once in awhile since for the first time ever, I will be travelling with my laptop. Do you still have to open them up and turn them on while going through security at the airport?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

#1: have I told you how much I LOVE that photo of you at the top of your blog? if not, "I LOVE THAT PIC!"

#2: yay for keeping us informed and for enjoying life!

#3: I haven't had to open my laptop ever - but it does have to be taken out and put into a box by itself at most airport security stations... fyi

love you!

RTAs said...

eeee! 9 days. I'm going to miss you too much!
ncsteph is right, they usually just ask you to put it in the grey box, and pass it through the scanner.
Don't forget to take off your belt, shoes (for the US flight), your sweater, empty out your pockets, and carry only the alloted amounts of liquids and gels. And pray they don't ask to pat you down. If they do... opt for the public pat down. There is something about being felt up in private that seems much more a violation of your privacy.
Did I cross the line? Don't worry, for all the flying I do, I've only been patted down once, in Saskatoon.

Shannon said...

Good to know about the laptop. And the pat down. I think I can handle a public patdown. I had to remove a security tag from a lady's newly bought pants the other day (she wanted to wear them out of the store) and as I reached into her back pocket and apologised for feeling her up she said, "No worries. It's the most action I've had in a year and a half." Glad I could make somebody's day. And Steph, thank you for loving that picture. It's how I feel about life right now.