Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Maui for real

November 22:
This should have been posted two weeks ago but I forgot that I hadn't finished it. I have been so busy that I have not made blogging a priority at all.

November 4:
I've got 6 minutes to try to tell you about the most amazing place I've ever been. I went on a hike this weekend with some new acquaintences that will hopefully turn into friends by the end of this 3 month adventure. It was to a bamboo forest part way up the Hana road (but not the really popular one that everyone goes to near the 7 Sacred Pools). This one did not have a sign. It was a little hole in the bamboo at the side of the road that you could duck into.
I find bamboo forests so peaceful. They are silent and cool and shady. It feels like it must be getting dark outside, even on a sunny day. Part of the hike also involved walking across rocks and through streambeds which was tricky in it's own way.
We had to climb some small rockfaces using ropes and helping* each other get over the top.
After walking for 45/50 minutes we reached the end of the "trail". There was a little channel of water leading around a corner and even though I did not have my bathing suit on (a mistake I will not repeat again - when hiking in Maui, always wear a bathing suit under your clothes**) I jumped fully clothed into the water because I realised that this was an experience that I would regret missing if I did not.

As we rounded the corner my jaw dropped in awe. I was surrounded by 360 degrees of 50-70 foot high absolutely lush, vegetation-covered cliffs. A small waterfall was falling ahead and to the side water was dripping from an overhang in such a way as to form raindrops. I had to tread water for awhile under the overhang and get "rained" on because it was so lovely. We climbed up the rocks beside the waterfall and arrived at another pool that had horse-shoe shaped vegetation-covered cliffs and an even bigger waterfall.The beautiful paradise picture I had had in my head of what Maui should be was realised in that moment. On the way back to the lower pool we saved some time climbing down by simply jumping the twelve feet into the water.

I am in love with this place.

* Apparently I had 2 dirty handprints right on my rear end because the ropes swung out while I was trying to climb and some of the spotters were trying to keep me steady. I have no idea whose handprints they were. Seems kind of disreputable to not even know whose handprints are on one's own bottom.

** Except possibly when hiking up the volcano Haleakala. Don't know how many waterfalls and pools I will find up there. But even though I won't wear my suit, I will probably through it into my bag. Just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fantabulous. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Love you and miss you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I sure wish that I was able to enjoy what you are enjoying. I am happy for you.
I miss you too.
Dad