Sunday, January 13, 2008

Near Wellington

I've got about 5 minutes before I get kicked off so this will have to be quick (having horrible time finding internet or phones).

Friday we got up and did a little hike in Waitomo area. Supposed to be half hour walk (before driving to New Plymouth) but Jess spotted some caves about 12 feet up a easy climb of a rock face and so we dashed back to the car for our headlamps and did some exploring. You know me - all I could think about were the bugs. Some the size of my entire hand (the weta it's called). Brilliant drive to NP after that. Just gorgeous. I drove most of it - getting used to the left hand for the most part. Swam in the Tasman Sea Friday night and went for dinner along their Main Street. Really fun day.

Yesterday did a hike on Mount Taranaki (formerly Mount Egmont). So fun except for the part where Jess decided to do some trail running, tripped, and fell off the side of the mountain. Lots of trees to stop her fall but thankfully she grabbed some roots before that became necessary and pulled herself up. Got away with only a scrape on her knee, some grass (or I guess more acurately shrub) stains and the loss of her totally awesome MEC sunglasses. What a shame, but if you know Jess, well, then you know Jess. And you know she had a great time doing it.

We stayed at a "dodgy" Holiday Park last night right near the Sea in CastleCliff (near Wanganui). We sort of left it till last minute and had no choice but to take it when we arrived. We went for a quick walk on a beautiful beach but as soon as it started to get dark we were out of there. Too few people around for our likes. The Park itself where our cabin was felt safeish but not the beach!

Today was mostly driving. We stopped in Wanganui to try to book our 3 day tramp (hike) in the South Island, make some personal calls, and book a hostel for tonight. We failed abysmally* at all three and ended up spending quite a bit to do so. Wanganui is a river town and reminded me a lot of Saskatoon. Beautiful but we were tired and a little worried about not having a place to sleep tonight (Wellington is more busy and books up faster). We finally arrived here late in the afternoon and jumped out at our first choice hostel. I made a verbal contract for the last double room with the owner and we ran to park the car. By the time we got back, he'd given the room away to some double parked lucky people who stole our room. We managed to book a Holiday Park outside of town (which kind of sucks - our room feels a bit like a cross between an old hospital room and a prison cell but at least it's clean) which should have taken 20 minutes to get to but took 2 hours.

Quick stop at the Botanic Gardens. Very nice.

Getting kicked off now - talk to you all later.

Shannon

** I know that is spelled wrong and I don't care

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having a great time following your travels on a map. I couldn't be happier that you are having a great time. Remember, even the hard times like rolling down a mountian are good for a story.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Dude, you spelled it right!
Sounds like you're having fun. Love you!

RTAs said...

hooray for spontaneous cave exploring!! Lovin' the reports.