I have been thinking about a career change for awhile now. Generally cautious about these things, I have decided to try out my potential new vocation here on my blog first. See what kind of feedback I get. I don't actually watch a lot of movies so I will have to pay extra attention to the ones I do so I can crtique them well. Quality over quantity as they say.
Three movies touched my life this week. I would like to give all of them a cookie. (I think that will be my rating system - depending on whether they get a cookie, and what kind, that is how well liked they were by me. For example, one homemade chocolate chip cookie would be the highest possible score on my cookie rating system and would indicate awesomeness. Followed by a ginger snap (excellent movie), oatmeal raison (good movie), peanut butter cookie (okay movie), digestive cookie(probably good to some but rather boring to me), monster cookie (blech) and no cookie at all (horrid movie in my opinion.)
Movie #1: The Sentinel - peanut butter cookie
I'm sure that I would have liked this movie quite a lot. Probably more than most people. It is the kind of suspense-ish movie I enjoy. I also really like Michael Douglas and Keifer Sutherland (remember them respectively in Romancing the Stone and Young Guns? Sigh) Friday was opening night and I decided I was in the mood for a movie. So off to the movies I went. We arrived late due to some technical difficulties (i.e. we didn't leave the house on time) and didn't actually get to see the movie because the line was really long and we would have missed a good chunk of the beginning (even with previews). So my review may not be as good as it could have been. If I had to guess, I think I probably would have given it a ginger snap. But in the interest of fairness and being unbiased I only give it a peanut butter cookie. So there you have it.
Movie #2: Stay - ginger snap
This movie was really scary right off the bat. I needed to hide under the blanket. And Ryan Gosling was excessively hot as usual. It was weird and one of those twistedish movies that you can't really figure out. As per usual (anyone who has ever watched a movie with me will attest to this) I fell asleep part way through. I woke up a couple of times and was still really scared - so it must be been good. I won't spoil the end (partly because I missed it) but I will say that what I saw, I liked. So a ginger snap to Stay!
Movie #3: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - ginger snap
Ha! Until yesterday, I had no idea this was a Disney movie. Anyway, irrelevant. Yes, the movie was very good. At least the 45 minutes I saw. No, I didn't fall asleep, but I did have to leave early to go for a walk and say goodbye to my visitor who spent the last week at my house. Then I had to go to quiz practice. So my movie review is based on everything up to the kids meeting the beaver. I loved it! I thought the music was awesome and the cinematography*** fantastic! The professor made me laugh and Mr. Tumnas was pretty good looking for not being human. Kind of like those hobbits and elves in Lord of the Rings. I actually have never read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and have only seen the old BBC version of the movie (which I hated). So the fact that I was very much spellbound by this one (must have been the cinematography***) means something. I would have liked to watch the rest and as soon as I do, that ginger snap may get upgraded to a chocolate chip cookie. Especially if I can make it through the entire movie without falling asleep.
*** The whole mentioning of cinematography is a joke purely for my sister and roomate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow... you didn't see the entire movie of any of these.
Love the cookie system! Now I want some...
Brilliant Shannon.
But I think for the best of the best (even better than a chocolate chip cookie) you should give them a boyfriend with cake.
You my friend are a genius. Because what could be better than a boyfriend with a cake?
I would think the answer to that would depend on the gender (and, to be fair, sexual orientation) of said movie.
Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm fairly sure most movie reviewers watch the entire movie before passing judgement.
Matt, you silly boy. How can a movie have a gender? It can surely appeal more to a person of a particular gender but only in languages that do that sort of gender assignment to inanimate objects can a movie have a gender. And even so, it's not like you have to eat a chocolate chip cookie or chill with a boyfriend with cake if that is what it gets rated. That's just the system. So it really doesn't matter about gender or not.
And I am not most movie reviewers now am I. If I was then why would anyone care about my opinion - they could just listen to Ebert and Roper and their thumbs up or down system (which to be fair is slightly more simple than my cookie system).
But I appreciate the constructive critism. I shall keep it in mind.
The local news station here has kernals of popcorn.
But I think cookies and cake is far more fun.
Love the boyfriend with cake idea. "Boyfriend" in Mandarin is nan pongyo, but I don't know how to say cake. I must learn - except a lot of the cakes you can get here are yucky. They look AWESOME but taste awful. Maybe I'll learn how to say "cookie" instead.
Post a Comment