Friday, January 04, 2008

the beginning

Well here it is. The big trip has begun. I left Canada yesterday for the "vacation of a lifetime" and am now on a quick detour to Phoenix to visit my grandparents. Today my travelling companion Jess and I drove in a convertable with the top down, swam for an hour at a beautiful outdoor pool and had a lovely dinner with my Uncle Rob and Aunt Val. My grandparents have been gracious hosts and now tomorrow we leave for the main event. New Zealand. Knowing no one in New Zealand, we have still managed to scrounge up a ride from the airport and have made plans to meet with some friends of friends for tips on where the best hiking is. I cannot describe to you how surreal it all feels but it is actually about to happen. And I strongly suspect I am going to love it all. Tomorrow we have a 9 hour layover in Fiji so we are bringing our swim suits in our carry on's and plan to enjoy those 9 hours.

Now, it is time for bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having a good time. I will be looking forward to all your posts. Have a FAB time. (there is still some 60's in me)

Anonymous said...

The previous post was left by your Mom. I hit the wrong key.Love you.
Mom

Anonymous said...

My dearest Shannon, I hope you are having a wonderful (and safe) time out there!! Update soon!

Miss Gina said...

What about your passport?

Shannon said...

Mom, love you lots. I am having a FAB time.

Ky, updated as per your request.

Gie, the girl we went to the beach with didn't swim so she watched our stuff while we swam (within eyesite) and then we held on to it while we chilled and walked around. But we could have paid to have the hotel store it in a locker behind reception. That's what we would have done if it had just been the two of us.