Saturday, April 08, 2006

Best $300 I ever spent

So I kick butt at negotiating for houses apparently. Anyone considering a house should definately invest in a home inspection. It turned up some problems I hadn't anticipated and I negotiated $5000 off the selling price. $300 paid out to get $5000 off? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

But yes, I am now the official owner of property. Cool. Scary. Grown up.

My real estate agent phoned to make the re-negotiative offer yesterday and said he'd call me to let me know what they said. Well, apparently they countered and he said, "no I think we are pretty happy with what we offered" and didn't even call me. He rocks because I would have probably accepted the counter and instead they called him back again and agreed to the original re-negotiative offer. I never thought buying a house could be this smooth.

Did I invent a word? Re-negotiative? I don't know.

Last evening to celebrate I went and got my favourite take-out and chilled with a friend for a couple hours planning stuff for the house. It was awesome to have someone so excited for me. After that I met a long time good friend from university who was in town. He and his buddy just happened to have an extra ticket to the Metric show and invited me along. It was awesome. I returned home shortly before 3am. It was a very perfect day.

Anyway, I should run and get ready to go to my friend's wedding shower.

Coming soon with be another installment of "Things I think are cool" and my very first meme. I'm not even sure what meme means, but apparently it involves answering a list of questions. I know you are biting your nails in anticipation now.

3 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Think of "meme" as in "viral behaviour."

Congratulations, new home owner! Who negotiated $5000 off the asking price! I'm assuming that saved money will be going into whatever fixing is needed for the house? And any appliances you need to buy?

I can't wait to see your new house.

Shannon said...

Nope, appliances all came with. And the repairs will only cost me about $3000. I am just an awesome house negotiator.

Can't wait till you come visit.

Anonymous said...

I missed this blog entry and I don't know if you look back at your comments, but congratulations on the house!! It looks super cute too. AND you did a great job with the negotiations..apparently buying a house that needs some fixing up is the best thing to do because you buy it cheap and then once you do the fixes it increases SO much in value for resale...way to go!!!