I have been debating whether to put this on my blog or not due to some mature content. But I really do think it is cool. Usually I use
yourDictionary when I need to look up the meanining of a word. But recently a friend introduced me to the
urban dictionary. I like it because it has very unique definitions for words.
Example definition:
Dictionary - A very large book full of information about how words are spelled, pronounced, used in a sentence etc.
Although originally intended for reading, the dictionary serves many functions: it can be used as...
1.) a stepstool
2.) a flyswatter
3.) a paperweight
4.) a doorstop
5.) firewood
6.) etc. etc. etc.
It also contains definitions for words that I would not expect to be found in other dictionaries.
Example:
Blech - a superior form of blah
But I think my favourite thing is the diversity of definitions for the same word.
Example:
1. Lady - something most men don't treat right
2. Lady - A formal title or an affectionate term for a woman. Synonym for wife. As in Madame, or Signora, or Mistress.
"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? ...It is my lady, O it is my love!" -Romeo, Romeo and Juliette.
3. Lady - undercover/slang word for cocaine usually used when talking on a cell phone
Anyway, check it out if you like. Please, however, keep in mind that it is rated at least 14A. Despite the rating, I still think the urban dictionary is cool ("cool - the best way to say something is neat-o, awesome, or swell").
2 comments:
I was just browsing through some blogs to see what's out there and I came across yours.
I hadn't heard of the urban dictionary before, but I love it!
So...
"Thank You" --> A phrase not often heard nowadays, much like "forgive me" and "I'm a virgin."
Thank you for farting in my face, doctor.
Hello Lee,
"You're welcome" --> A polite way to to respond to thanks. Implies that the other person is welcome to ask for any other favors. Synonymous with no problem.
Howard: Thanks for washing the dog, Pete.
Pete: You're welcome.
Oh, and thanks for visiting. Come back again.
Post a Comment