Have you ever been right ticked off at someone for something that totally was not their fault? I answer a resounding yes to that question. We have this new guy at work and yesterday I just wanted to throttle him. Violent, I know. When he arrived I was given the option of moving from cubicleland into my very own office. I took it. But, it was 9 weeks ago that this occured and I have been out of the office for six of them and speeding my way through 120 reports for the rest of them. Thus, I hadn't had a chance to set myself up.
So yesterday and today I have finally taken the time to settle in. New guy had moved into my old deskspace and I had left some of my belongings on the shelves and walls over there. He is a hoarder. He has been slowly collecting my thumb tacks, dry erase markers, etc. He was even using my water bottle as a book end. All of these things added to my irritation but the kicker was the shelves. When I first began this job 2 years ago, they asked me if there was anything that I would like to kind of get settled. I said that as a matter of fact I would really like some book shelves. It took a year and a half battle before I finally managed to obtain them. My company is really good at procrastinating simple things that would make an employee's life easier. And I work here so I too take some of the blame for the length of time to get the shelves. Anyway, I could tell right away that New Guy was not going to let me take the shelves without a fight. After my long battle to get them, he was going to make me go get more. The irritation began to grow to anger. So I finally managed to scam some new shelves. And yesterday was the first opportunity I had to hang them up. Now I am not the most handy of girls, but I make up for it with my enthusiasm. I once spent an entire day putting together these huge metal shelves at the back of our office where we store our equipment. I had scrapes and bruises but by gosh those shelves still stand (had I been setting up the shelves for a project and we'd been charging a customer it would have come to around $400 or $500 at my charge out rate - that is at least as much as the shelves cost). So I went to put up my little shelves above my desk and New Guy decides to come and lend a helping hand. New Guy likes to think he knows a lot of things about a lot of things and sometimes I resent it. I am a girl, yes, and he probably does know more about setting up shelves than I do. But after stealing mine, do not try to make up for it by helping me set up these ones that I am perfectly cabable of doing (even though it may take awhile) on my own. Anyways, I was so angry at him the whole time. And I feel a little bad - because New Guy was just trying to be helpful. That is why my anger is unfounded.
But maybe now that I have sort of set up my office, I will be able to get my inner serenity back and start being nice to New Guy. Maybe I should get a fountain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment