Friday, May 26, 2006

no time to get nervous

About 4 years ago my dentist recommended that I get my wisdom teeth out. But since they do not give me any problems, I hate the thought of being in surgery, and I very much don't like how much it costs, I have not followed their advice. However, recently I have been again strongly urged to get them removed so I begrudginly decided to put myself on the waiting list. It takes about a year in my city to get an appointment. I figured that gave me a year to mentally prepare, save up the cash and if my circumstances, or cowardness, changed I could always cancel. A co-worker got hers out a couple months ago. She had been in pain for months beforehand and kept trying to get in on a cancellation. I think she only had to wait 8 months - which is considered really fast.

Imagine my surprise today when I got a phone call only 3 days after putting myself on the waiting list. Apparently there are two cancellations in the next 3 weeks. I don't know if I'm lucky or doomed. But by lunch time on Saturday June 10, 2006 I will no longer have any wisdom teeth. The receptionist asked me if I wanted to be sedated. Heck yes! I responded. I don't care if it costs more. I'm a wimp. Some poeple get lucky in love or in cards. I, my friends, get lucky in having pain approach me at lightning speed.

I was planning to go to Calgary that weekend and do some IKEA shopping for my new place but I guess that's out. Oh well, I'd rather get this over with.

Back to packing!!! I can't believe I move tomorrow. Too late to run away now - the money's all been sent to the lawyer. Yikers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the wisdom teeth. I just got mine out last year and it was a breeze...I wasn't even sedated. The tops ones don't hurt at all but the bottoms ones will a little more, especially if they were sore to begin with..that was my problem. Plus, if you're really lucky they will give you Tylenol 3's with codedine...I never got that but a friend of mine did and he said it was wonderful!! Congrats on the new house!!

Uh oh..it didn't post anything so I'll try again...sorry if there ends up being 2 of my comments!!

Matt said...

I've received the same advice, to get them out, even though I haven't had any problems with them.

I figure I'll wait until my masters program starts, then I'll be at least partially covered by the student health plan. Didn't realize the wait list was that long, I may have to look into that.

Shannon said...

Yeah Matt, it might be worth getting on the waiting list now (if they ask if you want to bump up to a cancellation just say no). That way by the time your appointment rolls around you will be covered.

Kristen, I'll be crossing my figers for the Tylenol 3's! All 4 are impacted (which I think means sideways) so I'm going under and hopefully I'll be more likely to get the codeine.