I am back. I guess I took a bit of a blog break.
So I said in my last post that I was going to talk about the conference I was at. There was something that struck me during one of the presenters. The conference was about environmentalish stuff, was very well put on, and was filled with professional people. It was a fairly formal event. And one of the presenters kept talking about God in her presentation. While telling a story about how her mom had almost died when she was young, this lady kept saying things like, "I'm so thankful that God found it appropriate to save her," and stuff like that. And would you believe that I kept cringing everytime she said it. It's not like I was offended - I mean, I totally believe the same things as she was saying - but it seemed so out of place. And everyone kind of looked around at each other like they were embarassed for her while she was talking. Or maybe that is just how I percieved it.
I remember hearing or reading somewhere how in the States people, especially sports starts and celebrities, are always thanking God at award ceremonies or after something big has occurred - it's quite acceptable. But that it rarely happens in Canada and feels awkward when it does. Perhaps that is very true. I had to admit, I was shocked at how I reacted to that lady's presentation. It made me kind of sad almost.
Now, with that said, I do think it can be inappropriate to start going on about the things of Lord in certain situations but shouldn't one pretty much at any time be able to mention in passing what they believe? And I am also not trying to say that the sports stars and rap dudes in the States holding up a cross and thanking Jesus are necessarily sincere and doing the right thing. But I guess I am just thinking out loud and kind of wondering how concerned I should be that I would cringe in a presentation out of discomfort for a person who is brave enough to include her beliefs in her presentation.
I hope you all had a nice weekend - I went to my wee little hometown to visit my parents and had a very lovely time. Dad and I went for a wicked bike ride yesterday. The weather was perfect, the bugs weren't really out yet, and I am not even sore - it was just what I needed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment