Thursday, May 18, 2006

Should I stay or should I go?

So, I've a load of cash in my bank account right now. More than I have ever seen (or probably will ever see) in my whole life. I have to put the rest of the down payment on my house next week so a fairly big chunk of my RRSP money has been transferred to my account and is now accessible (in Canada first-time home owners can withdraw it for a downpayment without getting taxed as long as they pay it back within 15 years). I also have all the rest of the money I scrounged up for the down payment and for the repairs that need to be done in short order and all my savings from the past 2 years. It's become quite the little stash of cash. And it will be mostly gone after next week. Then the rest of it will disappear as I put in the new furnace, have the electrical repairs done, and attempt to perform all the other necessary minor repairs (I say attempt because I am not very confident in my own ability to do things like put in new taps and punch the holes in the soffits - but I am going to try!).

The thing is, I have enough air points on my credit card that I could fly somewhere exotic and remote for free. I figure if I sold my car for cash as quick as possible, took all the money from my accounts and used the free flight to somewhere good to hide, I would be able to skip out on my now-legal obligation to buy the house and live on the run from the law for quite some time. It'd have to be somewhere cheap like Thialand or something because it's not that much money (so sadly Grand Cayman, which is where I really want to go, is out). Now if you know me at all, you know I would never do such a thing. But the last few days at work have been kind of frustrating and I've been daydreaming about it constantly. And it's looking mighty tempting.

So if I should happen to disappear in the next few days, please know that I am likely well and do not try to contact me. Eventually, you will get an unsigned postcard from somewhere that looks relaxing and hot. And that one will be from me.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Come on Shannon, do it! You know you want to...everyone is doing it. I'm on the run from the law right now! You all just think my name is Matt...

Or you could be boring, and buy your house, and act all responsible. Up to you, I guess.

Shannon said...

Is my avatar any clue as to my plans? (Check out my tan!)