My first clue that yesterday was going to be a bit of a gong show was when I woke up at 8:08am. I genearlly start work at 8:00 and although we have a little bit of flexibility with our hours, it's not a good idea for me to not even be awake when I am supposed to already have checked my email and started on my Monday timesheet. It really was my own fault for I almost always set more than one type of alarm and I'd stayed up late the night before and in my laziness had only set the one on my cell phone. I just got a new cell phone so I don't know why I thought I could trust it without a backup.
Anyway, rushing around ensued. I grabbed my purse, keys and a banana and I locked the door from the inside as I ran out the door. At this point I am mere seconds away from having my above suspcisions of gong-showness be solidly confirmed.
The distance from my house to the garage is maybe 10 strides. About 5 strides in I slowed down to a horrifying halt. I had only my car key in my hand. The previous night I'd decided to go for a bike ride along the river and I'd removed my house keys and bike lockup key from my normal key chain so I wouldn't have anything bulky to carry. Well guess what I didn't do. Put it back. It was still sitting on my coffee table. And it gets better - one of my roomates is in Victoria and the other has just left for work moments before. And it gets better still. That sneaky little cell phone that didn't wake me up is still sitting on the shelf above my bed. Harumph. Well, it was time to meet the neighbours at 8:30 in the morning. I sadly haven't made any friends in my neighbourhood yet. I don't know why but I feel suddenly shy when I see them - maybe because I have a mortgage that now forces me to stay put for awhile - it's not like I can up and move if I embarrass myself. But I digress. So, no answer at the first place. I'm about to go to the next place when across the street and 4 houses down I see someone getting into his truck. I race over there and shake my head to clear it (he's super adorable and probably totally my age) and explain my perdicament and ask to borrow his phone. As we enter his house I try very much to focus on my problem at hand but I just can't resist a quick look around for signs of a girlfriend - and aside from the floral couch (that looks really old) this is totally a bachelor's place. Hooray! Then I remind myself that I look like a total ditz right now and nothing I can do in the next 30 seconds will change that fact. Sigh. Anyway, I use his phone to beg my lovely sister to come and rescue me (which she did - she's awesome) and I leave his house telling him that I certainly owe him now and if he ever needs anything to come on over. As I am saying it I am very much hoping that it sounds like a nonchalant, friendly neighbourish thing to say and not a desparate plea for new friends, or worse, a proposition. He smiled a "knock em dead" kind of smile and said it was no problem. I grin because I think I have just pulled off the friendly neighbourish option above. Hooray!
Anyway, the day proceeded from there. It was a bit of a gong show but in the end I managed to get the most important things done. And then I relaxed all evening, figured out what had gone wrong with my phone's alarm the night before and had a good night's rest. Today's looking up. Especially since Taste of Saskatchewan is on. So lunch is planned. Awesome.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment