Thursday, September 21, 2006

being in shape is overrated right?

alternate title: why my gluteus maximus hurts so much

so, i got busy over the last few months and stopped going to the gym. i was semi active this summer but not enough to stay in decent shape. i started up my gym membership again this week (i usually cancel it in the summer) to rectify this situation. yes, the fact that i am going to mexico for a friend's wedding in december has something to do with it.

i've been having trouble getting motivated so i've decided to set the goal of 3 visits a week. a yoga class, a core strength class and one day to do my own thing. this past tuesday, i arrived early so i started off the visit with a short, hard run before the yoga class began. now i'd heard, through my gym's grapevine, that the instructor is one of the ones that takes it really seriously so i had sort of been avoiding her. i like the active yoga or pilatees styles since i'm not really up for practicing the religion of yoga. but she is the only instructor at my gym, so i decided to give her a try. sure enough, i arrived and she started explain how hatha yoga is different from yoga fit. but it didn't sound all that bad. she said it was about not pushing your body to do things it can't do, but instead enjoying yourself and relaxing and taking pleasure in it, all the while concentrating on your breathing and technique. she said since most of us were new, we'd start off with an easy class of all the good stuff. "nothing too hard." i was a bit disappointed since i actually wanted a real workout. she lied. it was extremely challenging, moreso than the yoga fit classes i've taken before. the poses were killer and i was retardedly sore the next day, which would be yeseterday. i will be going to that class again.

if i was going to continue with my plan, it meant that today i had to go to the core strength class. now this is my weakest point i'd have to say. which is why i picked that class to attend. i knew it would be hard. and, brilliant me, was right. i couldn't even do the tricep kickbacks because my legs were shaking too much for me to stand up from all the lunges, squats and planks. we did this horrible and terrible exercise to work our outer thighs that made me want to die. i will be going to that class again too.

so here i sit, content in my excessive soreness. remind me of how much this hurts next time i get "too busy" to stay in shape.

now, bed. the pain will really hit tomorrow. does anyone else understand that even though it hurts, it is so incredibly satisfying? or is it just me.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Just think of pain as weakness leaving the body!

I hear you, Shannon, and I've definitely been there.

Although not recently (but I'm hoping soon), I've had workouts that have left me somewhat dizzy and stumbling, or finished a long run to similar effect. It just means you worked hard enough.

If you don't push yourself, you won't get better.

So, keep at it, I'm rooting for you. Maybe we can go for a run some night when I get back.

Anonymous said...

Once I was so sore, I couldn't even button up my own pants...

Anonymous said...

I was right there with you on thursday. I will have to keep in mind that excessive prancing...yes prancing will result in an inability to use my calf muscles again. The only saving grace is that it is so very fun to do. (it's for my modern dance class by the way, I don' t just prance from work to home or anything like that).