Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hah! I do bend.

I'm not the most flexible of people. I've never been able to do the splits or anything and usually I have to spend some major effort to touch my toes. And it's noticeable in my yoga class where everyone else is reaching their palms to the floor without even bending their knees.

But we learned a knew pose last night. There is no way I'll be able to explain it in words properly but it's sort of like a cross-legged thing where you try to put your knees as close to the floor as you can. Anyway, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I'm sitting there doing this pose thinking "this is really easy, I must be doing something wrong" when the instructor looks at me, yes AT ME! and says, "For you, you can increase the difficulty by doing such and such alteration". So I did it. Then she looked at me again and gave me another alteration to make it even harder! Then she explained the next alteration to make it even harder, because it was even too advanced for her.

I know yoga is about letting go of your ego and all that. But yeah right! Dude, I can do a move the instructor can't do! Of course when it comes next time to Downward facing Dog and Swan Dive and everyone else is kicking my butt, my ego will get sorely bruised and I'll forget all about the leg crossy move. But until then, I'm revelling in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good job Shannon! And it even sounds like an eligant lady-like move as well...the cross legged move.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I miss yoga. I love Downward Facing Dog.