Okay, so I've actually read a handful of blog entries in my time but I still feel quite unqualified to start my own. I was surprised at how easy it is to set one up. My roomate (who acts as my unofficial technology advisor) has assured me that I don't have to be as funny as her and her sister to start my own blog and that I would be surprised at how funny I could actually be on a blog - but I shall leave the determination of that up to you, whoever "you" may encompass - and continue on my travels into the binary universe of the technically inclined.
I think a quote from what may become the cult classic of 2004/2005 would be appropriate. As Kip so eloquently croons to his bride;
"I love technology!"
It's true. I do love it. For instance, I love electricity. It allows me to see in the dark without having to first create fire. It allows my room-mate and me to watch Radio Free Roscoe on pretty much whatever night we want to. It allows me to speak with ease to my friends and family without having to wait for days or weeks for someone to deliver a letter crazy distances away. Actually, I don't know - does a phone line use electricity? Well, it at least allows me to plug in the charger for the cordless.
I love that motors and gasoline let me be able to travel to far off lands without having to walk across a few dozen countries and swim through an ocean or two (which is good because salt water really isn't good for the skin for prolonged periods of time). Although, I also hate that we are slowly killing our planet with all the pollution, but that will have to be another blog at another time. I shan't rant today.
I also love the advances plumbing has made in the last century. (And I have experiences with the old school methods in my travels around the world.) Trust me, it might be okay to use the bushes when with 3 other people at a field camp for a couple weeks, but can you honestly imagine a city where no plumbing existed? Even if advances such as outhouses had been made it would stink all the time. And it's not like there'd be a truck coming and emptying it every couple weeks like they do with porta-potties because those wouldn't have been invented either yet. Half your yard would be where your outhouse hole had filled up and you had to start a new one (and since winter in Saskatchewan is like 80% of the time, think about how hard it would be to dig new holes at -40). I know we wouldn't die or anything because there are developing nations that live like that now (although not with the -40 issue...), but I have to say I really like being able to flush. Yeah for flushing! Wow, I can't believe I just talked about flusing on my second post of the blog. I'm kind of embarrassed actually.
Now there are things I don't like about technology but I want this to be an optimistic post so I'm not going to end my message here and go for lunch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dude, see, you totally are funny enough!
Hi Shannon!
Shannon? You are so very awesome. I love how your personality, and your outright hilariousness, comes right through in your first long post. By the way? I'm totally mentioning you on my blog.
Yay, Shannon has a blog! I totally understand why you and Christopher get along so well. Dude, you rock! :)
I feel so loved to have so many comments already. Yeah for friends!!!
You are so cute with your love of electrcity, plumbing and whatnot. I love technology but not as much as you, you see.
Post a Comment