So I have been working at my job for just over 2 years. I have a Biology degree and am interested in many things environmental and ecological but somehow managed to get a job in the hazardous materials department of an environmental company. The stuff I am really interested in is water quality, species studies, land use impact studies and that type of thing. In fact my undergrad thesis was about introducing new species of phytoplankton (a.k.a. algae) into a recovering formerly acidified lake in Ontario to see if we could boost the species count (all in a controlled environment mind you). Boring to you - possibly. But it was thrilling for me. So anyhow instead of getting paid to hike around, chase birds, ride quads, count plants, etc. I spend my days crawling around attics and crawlspaces looking for mould and asbestos.
BUT
Today - I got to do my first strictly environmental project. It even has "Environmental" in its name. I got to spend the entire afernoon outside performing a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment. We had a drill truck come and drill holes so we could see if there was any contamination in the soil. Still a far cry from canoeing through Killarney to find a lake with the perfect water chemistry to do algae introductions, but I will take it! And it was really interesting too - I mean at least for me as a first timer it was. I think the project manager training was not as filled with glee as I.
Tomorrow I get to do another Phase II but it is a bigger one out of town. I guess I could say that I am actually excited to go to work tomorrow. It has been a long time since I have been able to say that - and it feels good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hooray, Shannon's back to biology! I love that you're so excited about examining soil.
Kelp forests are cool.
Ohmygosh, kelp forests are cool. I love you for remembering!
Woohooo for fun jobs!
I see you are now preventing spammers... too bad we can't keep life simple anymore, eh?
Post a Comment