Sunday, January 08, 2006

I go with winter?

So last night our young people's group went to my favourite outdoor skating rink. We had a most excellent time. We were playing games, doing stunts, performing doubles routines and (the highlight for me) we did a pinwheel! (Anyone who took figure skating lessons when young will have done a pinwheel in an acheivement day-type performance.)

If you have not yet figured it out, I love skating. I took lessons for years and was never very good competitively but I enjoyed the ice. And I guess last night people could sort of tell that I was enjoying myself. My friend Stephanie at one point out of the blue stated "You go with winter." It caught me by surprise because it was such a matter of fact statement. But I can totally see her point - I just had not really thought about it before. I love winter. I do not like cold but I adore snow so as long as we have lots of snow - I am usually quite content. It is always a struggle for me when we get the frigid temperatures without the snow because then the things that I like about winter, are not. I love skiing, I love skating, I love snow fights. Basically anything that I can wear my ski pants for I enjoy. I am always happy when I am playing in the snow. And I definately feel more at home in a snow suit than a bathing suit. So even though I had never thought about it, I think Stephanie is right and I do go with winter. So bring on the snow 2006!! In a time of indecision and questioning my future, it is really nice to figure something out about myself.

Note - This does not mean that I do not often tire of winter by the end of it. And it does not mean that I don't also very much enjoy summer and beaches and mud and rain. In fact, after spending a month chilling on the beaches of Hawaii a couple of years ago I could definately see myself enjoying more of that type of thing. Now if only popular bikinis looked more like a ski suit, it would be my perfect world.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Haha that would be fun!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

You really do go with winter. I don't know anyone who I'd rather skate or cross-country ski with. And you make for good snow fights! Winter: goes best with Shannon.

And apparently, I miss winter, considering the fact that I was dreaming about cross-country skiing, this afternoon. The snow was so vividly bright. That's what I miss: a good winter afternoon.

Shannon said...

Maryanne, the early morning skating, while excellent, was just not the same without you this year. Winter misses you too.