Hahaha! I got lost! I am in Prince Albert (the nearest place with a decent hotel to the small town where I am working this weekend). We got done early today in small town so I came back to the hotel and had a 4 hour nap. Awaking at around 7pm I decided to go for a quick ski. I am taking a cross country skiing class with a co-worker and our instructor got real huffy last class that no one had practiced. I do not want to get in "trouble" again at class on Monday night.
I asked the hotel staff where I could go. They told me about this park right outside of town that was lit for night skiing and everything. They also mentioned that there was a trail at the golf course. I opted for the park. I drove out of town along they road they had indicated and turned onto the side road that was marked. But the road was closed ahead. Bummer. To the golf course!
I got there, parked and looked around for ski tracks. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I found them. I began. Now, you must remember that I have only recently begun cross country skiing. And I was only planning a quick ski. And I did not know the trail. But I have been golfing before - I know how big courses tend to be. Surely the trail goes around the perimeter of the course. Surely I can handle that. I mean, I would be able to run that far - can't be that much harder to ski it? Off I go. Practicing my weight transfer, my double poling and all the things I have learned. After about 5 minutes, I am bushed. Perhaps I should have paced myself better. After about 20 minutes, the path still has not turned to go back toward the clubhouse. Hmmmm, I do not even know if I am half way or not but I did not like the thought of turning back. What if the path was just about to turn and I am almost back? I decide to keep going. And going. And going. Finally the path turns (by the way - it would have been faster to turn back but that would have felt like giving up).
I stop and take a quick break because there were so many hills and I was moving slower and slower. I feel refreshed after my break and I start going again. And the path ends. Oh gosh. Now what. I do not know where I am. By this time I have been going almost an hour. There is no turning back. There is NO WAY I will last another hour. So I decided to make my own tracks through the deep snow and go the direction I think the clubhouse is in. Well lucky girl that I am I only had to trudge through the snow for about 15 minutes until I hook up with a trail (I have no idea where it came from - certainly not the trail I started on). And hooray! I am back.
Weather permitting, I will be up early tomorrow to go to the small town and take my clearance air samples. I should be home in time for church! Now I am going to fall asleep. Crazy how tired I am even after a four hour nap.
Night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds cold.
Post a Comment