Tuesday, June 20, 2006

first list of goals

Steps to becoming a future tennis star:
get tennis coach - check
immediately start working really hard at lessons - check
develop kick-butt backhand - in progress
get cute white tennis skirt uniform thing - needs attention
buy tennis racket - needs attention
acquire tennis ball for practice - check
I'm sure more things will get added to this list as I go. This was just to start me off. Haven't I made fantastic progress for having just started playing tennis yesterday? Yes, I'm sure it is only a matter of a few short months until I'm chillin' with Andre Agassi and other tennis pros. My coach is indeed a lot older and he kind of looks like a light haired Tom Sellack. Plus he has a really strong accent. I thought about telling him how it was his lucky day and soon he would be almost as famous as me, simply for being my coach. But I don't want him to give me any special treatment so I didn't say anything. His name is Lubush and he's already yelled at me a whole bunch of times. It's just like in the movies! Apparently I am not an instant prodigy - but that's okay. I'm sure the prodigy-ness will kick in soon. And I don't mind a few months of hard work. My coach seemed really impressed with my progress by the end of the hour. Even though he wouldn't let me hit the ball any more because I kept putting it in the next court and the old rich people playing there were getting kind of upset. "Jeest touch ze ball - do not heet eet" he kept saying. (Note - he doesn't have a French accent, I don't actually know what kind of accent it is, but that is the only one I can sort of write out. Meh, close enough.)

There are two other people in my class. Ian and Kerie. They are both males in their late 30's and they play pretty good. I think, for the first little while until I get really good, they will be good to practice with.

I also already bled. That's a sure sign of being a hardcore athlete. To bleed during your sport and not complain about it. For some reason my mouth started bleeding again - I figured a stitch must have come out from my wisdom tooth surgery. Anyway, I didn't know what to do. Can one spit on a tennis course? Even if that is proper edicate, I hate spitting. I think it's gross. So I swallowed it instead in my attempt to be hardcore. Now I know what it must be like to be a boxer. I bet they bleed a lot in their mouths and have to swallow it.

So anyway - top priorities before my next lesson are to acquire a racket and to keep working on my backhand (which is coming along very nicely now that I've stopped trying to hit the ball and only "touch eet").

No comments: