When I was 16 I was in a car accident. Afterward we were standing around talking to the guy who hit me and the other guy who's business I just about plowed through with my parent's car (you know my natural reflex was not to hit the brakes - it was to keep pushing on the gas. Thank goodness I could still steer). Anyway, the guy who hit me left to go "check on his baby". I couldn't believe he'd refer to his truck as his baby in the midst of the chaos. Then he pulled around the corner and I sheepishly realised he meant his actual baby. As in a wee little person. Why was it my first thought to assume he meant his truck?
Today the newest FedEx guy came in to pick up some equipment I'd scheduled to go back to one of the western offices. I think I might have a thing for FedEx guys - maybe because they are all so friendly. I had a more than year long crush on the first one we had when I started working here. But he turned out to be married. That could have been embarrassing - thankfully I am a chicken and would NEVER ask a guy out I was interested in. Phewf. Anyway, since I generally am fond of these courier people I was chatting up the new guy about summer holidays and he mentioned that he took "the pit bull to the lake" for the weekend. Quick what is your first thought?! If you answered a furry, often angry, little creature known as a dog you are correct. My first thought - "how can he be so degrading as to refer to his girlfriend/wife as a pit bull". What in the world? I have no idea why I would think that. Once I realized he meant his man's best friend, it was all good.
Then he asked if he could take one of my business cards. What does that mean? I was still reeling from the whole pit bull escapade so I didn't think about it till he left. Why would he need my business card? He knows where I work. Weird.
Okay, off to camp for the evening. Hooray.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Shannon, you are fantastic. I love the way your mind works. I'm sorry I didn't get to see you while I was home this summer, but I'll keep track of your blog and we will definitely need to get together for a long chat next year.
Actually, my first thought was a pet name for his boat/truck.
Post a Comment