I am one of those lucky people who can usually sleep well the whole night through. I generally attribute this to the fact that I almost always stay up too late and get up to early so I am always tired enough to fall straight asleep when I hit my pillow. Nonetheless, I am thankful that poor sleep nights, like last night, are few and far between.
Imagine my surprise at the fact that today, even coming off a bad night, was one of my most productive days in months and months. I was on fire or something.
I slept in (due to my bad sleep) until about 7:08. This meant that I had to rush around trying to get ready for the day. Rushing aside, I managed a healthy breakfast and found all my warm clothes required for a day in the field. I got into work at 8:30 (only a half hour later than usual - which was okay because I was going to working late) and managed to:
- revise a report that had come back from my reviewer (with lots of changes required) and get it sent back for final review
- phone contacts to either set up or follow up with 4 other projects I have on the go
- chat for 15 minutes with my office mates about politics and
- get all my stuff together for my field job and leave by 10:00.
I stopped for petrol and was still about a half hour early to the job site. I proceeded to log soil samples for the 5 exploratory boreholes that were dug. We were outside for pretty much the entire afternoon (thankfully it was only about -12 degrees) and got done in record time. I was back in the city in time to drop the samples off at the lab. Since I was on the right side of the city, I went straight to the gym and had my best workout so far of the year. By now it was 7:00pm and I had not stopped moving. I stopped for groceries, got home in time to unload the perishables (with the help of my roomate), change into a skirt, throw a leftover stir-fry into the microwave (I had not eaten lunch because we were so busy drilling we sort of forgot) and head to prayer meeting. Only 5 minutes late! Upon returning home, I made 6 phone calls I have been forgetting about/putting off for the past 2 weeks (quasi-business related), cleaned out all my cupboards and re-orgainzed all my stuff, put away the rest of the groceries, tidied the kitchen, got all the paper products ready to recycle tomorrow and wrote this blog. It is now almost midnight and what a day. I performed my second Phase II Environmental Site Assessment (which you will know is exciting for me if you read my blog a few days ago). Not only that but I ate a completely balanced diet for goodness sake! What a day! I think a big part of the reason that I accomplished so much is because I have given up television for the month. I think I was starting to watch too much of it toward the end of last year. So it is gone from my life. I shall re-evaluate in February.
And now, exhausted, I shall fall into bed and enjoy the sleep that I trust will quickly come to me as per usual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
!
And here I was, proud of myself that I managed to do laundry AND attend a workshop yesterday.
Laundry is the easiest thing to procrastinate - good for you. That is an accomplishment. Seriously, my usual day involves skipping breakfast to get to work on time, fighting to motivate myself to accomplish anything of substance all day, coming home and making something easy (and usually not super healthy) for dinner and watching tv and/or reading all evening. Yesterday was an abberation.
But I'm going to try to live in the twilight zone again today. I'm going to bake some muffins before going to work.
Wish me luck!
I cleaned my kitchen yesterday...
So far so good. Muffins baked this morning. Check. Coffee had with older couple from the church. Check. Report sent to reviewer well before deadline. Check. Cross country ski lessons signed up for. Check.
Excellent.
Who goes for "petrol"? Aer you from England? Or have you and Ky been watching Monarch of the Glen again?
Well, I had written "stop for gas" and I was worried someone would make a fart joke. So I changed it to petrol because I've never said it and wanted to try it out. I wondered if anyone would notice.
I totally noticed the "petrol" thing too. And then remembered the only time I've ever actually heard the phrase "stop for petrol," which was during the "cab ride" Tina, Lyn and I received in London from a random dude who got lost.
I totally noticed it too, but attributed it to you watching a British film, or something.
I love baking muffins especially the ones with petrol... but I'm trying to cut down. Today was the most productive day at the gym for myself this year as well, I almost went. Well my ethanol headaches are kicking in I better get huffin outta here. This "Blogger" thing is pretty cool maybe I'll come back some time if Jen lets me.
Oooh! Shannon, you got an anonymous comment!
From someone who knows Jen! And huffs ethanol!
Wow, I'm so honoured! My second anonymous comment AND the most comments I've ever had. I'm tearing up.
Post a Comment