Saturday, January 14, 2006

Things I think are cool: Introduction

The first in an occasional series.

I have discovered a new animal. The tassel-eared squirrel. (And you will notice that I just figured out how to link - hooray)

They are interesting little creatures with a unique relationship with ponderosa pine trees and goshawks. It's a life cycle that would make a perfect Biology 100 example, but I'll spare you all. They kind of look like a cross between a rabbit and a kangaroo.

Anyway, I think they are cool. I have always had an affinity for squirrels, which may explain why I did a major project on them in my 4th year Animal Behavioral class. Not the tassel-eared mind you - that was a plain old Tamiasciurus hudsonicus (American Red Squirrel).

3 comments:

Jen said...

They are SO cute!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I'm going to have to show Chris. He and Matt love squirrels.

Shannon said...

One of my ambitions is to have him and Matt invite me on one of thier squirrel fishing expeditions. It would be like a dream come true...