Have you ever been in a situation where you would really rather not blush but of course you did and when you realised you were blushing you blushed even more and then thought, "Now he's going to think I'm interested because I'm blushing," and blushed even more. Well I did yesterday.
I had a quiz meet this weekend. 350 energetic teenagers in a relatively confined space always equals a good time. And since the quizmeet was in the city where I reside, I offerred to let 4 of the 350 said teenagers, stay at my house to "sleep". I have known these girls for a long time. In fact, when I lived in Regina, I used to be their quiz coach. So they have a fondness for me that makes me feel really good and happy and I like to be around them. Plus they are hilarious. But they were also the indirect source of my blushing yesterday.
One of the girls has an older brother who drove them here who just happens to be 25 and just happens to be single. I caught on right away when they introduced me that they were trying to be little matchmakers but I was not going to play along. On the ride back to my place they were dropping all kinds of hints like "John is soooo nice" and "John is a scholar" and "John is really funny" and "John is such a great guy." I finally could not let it go any longer when his sister said "I am sooo glad that John is my brother." So they fessed up that they thought it would be fun to set us up since I am the only single 25 year old they know at the quiz meet (Thanks girls. Thanks.) but that they weren't really trying to set us up and if they were they would be much more subtle about it. And of course that they had told him all about me on the drive up. "Poor guy," I thought, "he seemed really shy."
Well apparently they should have added to their list that "John comes across as shy but actually is very bold." Because when he came to pick up his sister early Sunday morning we were standing at the door to my house waiting for her to get her stuff together and he says, "So I hear we're going to be going out soon. That should be fun." So, yeah. I totally was not expecting him to say that. I was a little shocked about how matter-of-fact he was about it too. So the blushing began and I fumbled over my words and looked like an idiot. I mean that was the most hilarious and up front way to deal with the situatuion and actually would probably be a good way for him to ask me out if he was interested, but I sure felt dumb about the blushing. I hope they had a good laugh on the way home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I don't think there IS an unawkward/blushing way to handle a situation like that.
I know him! He was part of my Friday prayer meeting, and he mentioned that his little sister quizzed for First Baptist, and I mentioned that my friend was her coach. When you started telling the story, and describing how one of the girls' brother was 25, etc., I was thinking "I bet it was John."
But Jen is right: there's no unawkward/unblushing way to handle that. Or at least that I would be able to think of in that situation.
You know him!!!! That is too hilarious. Now give. Tell me all about him since I will apparently be dating him soon. Do you think we will be a good match?
Post a Comment