I have to tell you a story* about a girl** who got caught up in drugs.
They gave me 3 different prescriptions between the antibiotics and the painkillers after the teeth surgery was finished this weekend. I hate taking pills and happened to mention this fact to the doctor dude cuting up my mouth so he gave me all liquid prescriptions. Mistake number 1.
The one narcotic prescription had a dosage of approximately 3ml. It was the both the best for the pain and the best in taste, but after taking it I was not supposed to drive due to potential dizziness. I found 3ml did the job more than well enough - and it would even leave me a bit nauseous as previously mentioned. So yes, 3ml was plenty good enough even though I was technically allowed to take a little*** more if I wanted.
Of the other 2 prescriptions, I was to take 10ml.
On the fateful day (yesterday) I decided to venture back to work which involved driving. Therefore, throughout the day I took a couple 10ml servings of the antibiotic and the non-narcotic anti-inflammatory prescriptions. But when I returned home for the evening, I happily filled up the little dosage-administering-thingy and took some or the good pain stuff. I hardly even thought about it. I was just so glad to be able to collapse onto my new couch and relax for the evening. Mistake number 2.
Lesson learned - always pay attention when taking narcotics. After about 15 minutes I turned to my lovely roomate Ky and giggling said, "I think I overdosed on my medication." As more and more feeling left my body I remembered that I actually filled up the dosage-administering-thingy to the top instead of stopping at 3ml. I TOOK 3 TIMES THE NORMAL DOSAGE! At first I wasn't too concerned about it - in fact I wasn't too concerned about anything. And I felt really funny, but really good. Then I recollected how nauseous a small amount of this stuff could make me feel and how a lot of this stuff might be even worse. I decided to be responsible and phone the pharmacy. They basically said that the effect of an overdose could be that my breathing reflex would stop - so as long as I didn't stop breathing, I'd be fine. No duh. Thanks pharmacy people. I really didn't figure that I'd taken enough to actually really harm myself, but just to be on the safe side I gave Ky a quick verbal lesson in artifical respiration. Then I let myself relax for the rest of the wonderful hour until the nausea hit. Then I whined and complained and alternated between laying on the couch, the floor of the living room and the floor of the bathroom. T'was a fun night. And my favourite Ky was the best pal ever and watched six hours of Monarch of the Glen with me until the effects had worn off and I was ready for bed.
So that's my story friends. And it behooves me to repeat a little diddy I remember from my childhood.
"Don't you put it in your mouth" (echo)
"Don't you stuff it in your face" (echo)
"Though it might look good to eat" (echo)
"And it might look good to taste" (echo)
"You could get sick"
"Real sick"
"Real sick, real quick"
"Real ick"
Laters.
*Story based on true events.
**All names and identities have remained the same to expose the stupidity of the girl involved.
***As in an extra half mil or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Poor Shannon. I'm glad your okay, and hope that you've learned something from the experience.
However...your experience with the wisdom teeth removal (particularly the after part) is really not encouraging me to get mine done.
Me neither.
Although, that does explain your msn name from last night.
Me neither.
Although, that does explain your msn name from last night.
Post a Comment