Wednesday, November 15, 2006

slip 'n slide

I'm in central/northeastern Saskatchewan. They (the weather network people) told me before I left on Monday that there would only be a light snow this week. My faithful weather friends lied to me. There was lots of snow. It was a scary 5.5 hour drive to Kamsack (it should have taken just over 4). Then this morning from Kamsack to Canora, it was pure ice. Even the big full-of-confidence-in-themselves-and-their-trucks truckers were going slow. I was sliding all around on the road. If there weren't so many deep ditches and road signs that could wreck my pretty new car, it might have been almost fun. But I just kept going nice and super slow. The roads were better this evening thankfully.

Usually on my survey trips (which is what I'm currently on), I do lots of surveying with short drives (they are totally the best part) between - but this trip there is lots of driving everyday. I am sad to say that it's made me grumpy. I just about snapped at the hotel lady when she said they are full tomorrow and I can't book a second night. Which is retarded - it's not her fault that I'm in the middle of the storm watch area (for snow, rain and freezig rain - light snow my bum) and that tons of other people booked tomorrow night before me. But thankfully I didn't snap. And we ended up laughing about something (that I won't explain because you totally had to be there) before I came up to my room. So that's good. But I still feel grumpy. I don't want to take 3 hours to get to Prince Albert tomorrow because I have to go like 20 the whole way. Actually, if I have to go 20 it would take more like 4.5 hours becuase I think I'm 90 clicks away. But I digress. I guess if the roads are really really bad I will just have to beg one of the roadside places to take me - there are 3 here. 2 are kind of sketchy. But I have my sleeping bag so I should be okay.

You know, last time I was in this town for a job, there was a huge snowstorm and I was stuck here. Methinks I see a pattern...

Anyway, I'm going to take advantage of the one night I do have in a nice hotel with a fitness room and pool. The pool is undergoing maintenance (of course) so it's closed, but the treadmill should be good to go.

Later.

No comments: