Saturday, January 28, 2006

February adventure!

I am going on a holiday! It sort of snuck up on me. I have had my plane ticket since the end of November but it seemed like ages away. My birthday will be occuring over the holidays and last night at dinner with my parents they gave me my birthday card. Like I said, it totally snuck up on me. Since my adventure begins in less than a week, let me take a moment to tell you my plans.

Part Uno
Next Friday I hop on a bus and drive across the province into Manitoba to attend a quiz meet. I will tell you more about what that is another time. Quizzing certainly deserves its own blog entry.

Part Two
Upon return from Manitoba on Sunday night I am hopping into my car and driving to Calgary. Early early the next morning I hop onto a plane and fly non-stop* to Phoenix to visit my grandparents. We are planning such fun events as a trip to the Grand Canyon, a birthday celebration (February 10th!!), and possibly a trip to Biosphere II. There are mangroves there! I love mangroves. I think it will be very cool to see.

Part Trois**
I do some more hopping (my calves will be tired) onto a plane and fly back to Calgary (yes, again a non-stop flight - huzzah). I will chill around Cow-town for a couple days and then head out to the mountains for the Second Annual Ski Trip Extrordinaire!

The First Annual Ski Trip was a blast although quite eventful. There were 3 of us hardcores who were joined on various days by various friends. The first night we hit an elk and totalled the car we were in (belonging to hardcore guy 1). Glass was everywhere and even elk blood splattered on one various guy in the front seat. I know - gross. It was an excellent way to begin my birtday. Anyway, we were a little car-less so we paid a friend to drive us back to the ski hill (but she chose not to become a various girl and stay and ski). Since we were stranded for a couple days (until a different various guy came to ski the last day), we stayed at this wonderful little resort called Emerald Lake. I highly recommend it. Anyway, the last day we had a great morning of skiing but the day was cut short. Hardcore guy 2 and various friend decided to jump about in the terrain park. Hardcore guy 1 and myself (hardcore 3 by elimiation) were waiting at the bottom of the hill when approached by a cute random snowboarder who asked if we were waiting for a couple guys who had been messing about the terrain park. Of course we proceeded to take our injured hardcore 2 friend (whom we found at the bottom of a jump that he had not quite landed right) to the emergency room in Banff. Sadly, the poor boy had a broken back. Like I said, eventful trip. Oddly enough, I remained unscathed. Perhaps that is part of the reason I am so game to go again this year. Even more oddly, both hardcore guys are planning to come again this year. We have high hopes that there will be less broken cars and backs and more laughs and fun. I cannot wait! Well, back to work. Next Friday will be a sweet sweet day.

* I could have gotten a cheaper flight but had to stop in Seattle or something - I figured the extra $40 was worth it for non-stop. I have never flown non-stop to anywhere of any mentionable distance and I am quite excited about it. Just think. I am on a flight important enough that they are going all the way there in one go. Fantastic.

** That's right ladies and gents, I can count to three, in three different languages! Oh the cleverness.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I know who hardcore guy 2 is- who is hardcore guy 1??

Anonymous said...

Hey! I believe there was some cash with that birthday card. I want credit for more than just a card. I don't want people out in blog land to think that your parents would just give you a card for your birthday.

Shannon said...

Okay, there was lots of cash. I actually thought really hard about whether I should mention it or not because I didn't want you (or blog people) to think the only reason I liked the card was because of what was inside. Because the card was really nice. But yes, there was cash. Thanks mom. You are the best.

And hardcore guy 1 is Tim.